Designing in SmartAlbums®2
SmartAlbums®2 for MacOS and Windows allows you to export MomentoPro products directly to a print-ready PDF, so you can upload and order at Momento Pro immediately. Make sure you update to the most recent version of SmartAlbums to access this time-saving feature.
Below you'll find instructions for starting and exporting Momento Pro Photo Books and Flush Mount Albums in SmartAlbums®2. Users of older versions will need to continue exporting JPEGs for import into MomentoPro's software.
- Buy SmartAlbums®2
- Download SmartAlbums®2 30-day free trial
- Learn about SmartAlbums®2 features
- Contact Pixellu™ for all SmartAlbums®2 technical support
Read these instructions carefully before starting your next project. We recommend you print this page and read our Colour Management page.
If you're exporting to PDF for direct upload, please use JPEG Quality 99%, not 100%.
SmartAlbums®2 Special Offer
SmartAlbums®2 is offering Momento Pro customers $50 off until 31 December 2018. Email email@example.com for the promo code.
Starting Your Project
- With MomentoPro you can order smaller sizes from any upload e.g. if you upload a 12x12" album can order it as a 10x10" or 8x8" album
- In SmartAlbums®2 you design spreads rather than single pages. Spreads are equivalent to two pages or sides in Momento Pro's world
- When designing a Flush Mount Album you will start and end on a double page spread
- When designing a Photo Book, you will start with a single page at the front so you remember to convert your last page to a single side. Right-click on the last page, select Convert to single page/side. Failure to do so will result in the last (left) page of your book being blank.
- Before exporting a Section-sewn Photo Book ensure that the number of pages is a multiple of 8. Page count is displayed in brackets in the Spread Grid view in the right panel.
Export to PDF
In SmartAlbums®2 or higher you can export to an AdobeRGB (1998) print-ready PDF that can be uploaded to our website and ordered immediately. When you've completed your page layouts, proceed to the Export window, observing and correcting any warnings. If you don't see the PDF Export option you may need to upgrade to SmartAlbums®2 which offers an easier and faster workflow.
Before you proceed to export, click the Change Quality button and ensure the JPEG output quality is at least 90%.
Using 100% will give only marginally better print results but it will make the upload much larger and slower.
You have the option to sharpen images for print but we recommend the default setting of Medium. You may want to reduce this if you have previously sharpened your images in Adobe Photoshop or Lightroom.
SmartAlbums doesn't include a cover design feature so if you plan to order a Printed Cover or Dust Jacket (for Photo Books only) or a Prestige Mount (for Photo Books and Flush Mount Albums) you'll need to create your cover design in other software. The simplest method is to import your SmartAlbums spreads into the Momento Pro software (see below) as it will perform all the relevant spine and bleed calculations for you. Alternatively you can use our Photoshop or InDesign cover templates. Because the spine dimensions of your cover will depend on the size and thickness of your completed book, you should design your cover only when your book is complete.
Note: If you are supplying a separate cover file DO NOT PLACE YOUR ORDER until we have attached the cover design to your page design and emailed you a notification that the cover is uploaded and your project is ready to order. This usually takes 1-3 business days.
Import Spreads into Momento Pro software
As of SmartAlbums versions 2.2.6 for Windows or 2.0.26 for Mac, you can also export your project's spreads as JPEGs which can then be imported into the Momento Pro software. This will make the creation of printed covers or dust-jackets much easier. The project can then be exported and uploaded to Momento Pro as per a normal Momento project.
Before you proceed to export your album click the Change Quality button and ensure the JPEG output quality is set to 100%.
As an option you can have your images sharpened for print. We recommend leaving the default setting of Medium, however you may want to back this off if you have done your sharpening in Photoshop or Lightroom.
Uploading + Ordering SmartAlbums PDFs
2. Complete the online Questionnaire:
- Select the correct Album Type and Subtype in the SmartAlbums Settings question
- Verify that you used the correct SmartAlbumsExport Settings
3. Your Album or Book pages file will appear in your Projects list. Note: There is temporary issue with preview thumbnails not appearing in the Project list but you are able to proceed and place your order.
4a. If your project does not require a Printed Cover or Prestige Mount Plate you can proceed to place your order.
4b. If you require a Printed Cover or Prestige Mount Plate we need to manually add your Cover design to your Album or Book page file.
- Click the Upload button and upload the Cover file
- Complete the online Questionnaire
- Wait until you are contacted by our Customer Service team before ordering
Note: The Questionnaire must be completed before our Prepress team can attach your cover design to the correct pages file. Ordering your Project before your cover has been added by our Prepress team will result in your book being produced with a blank cover design. Momento Pro will not be liable for any expenses required to fix or replace your product.
Flush Mount Album
These are the products you can design in SmartAlbums®2 and upload directly to MomentoPro:
|Format||Sizes (Inches)||Album Subtypes|
|Square||12x12, 10x10, 8x8||Thin cotton rag (0.6mm), seamless lay-flat (up to 50 spreads)|
|Square||12x12, 10x10, 8x8||Thick cotton rag (1.1mm), seamless lay-flat (up to 35 spreads)|
|6x6 available by uploading 8x8|
Photo Books - Epson Inkjet
|Format||Sizes (mm)||Album Subtypes|
|Square||390x390, 297x297, 210x210, 148x148||Cotton Rag, lay-flat section sewn|
|Landscape||550x390||Cotton Rag, side sewn with gutter|
|Landscape||420x297, 297x210, 210x148||Cotton Rag, lay-flat section sewn|
|Portrait||390x550||Cotton Rag, side sewn with gutter|
|Portrait||297x420, 210x297, 148x210||Cotton Rag, lay-flat section sewn|
Photo Books - Indigo Press
|Format||Sizes (mm)||Album Subtypes|
|Square||297x297, 210x210, 148x148||All stocks, side sewn with gutter|
|Square||297x297, 210x210||Lay-flat hinged paper|
|Landscape||420x297, 297x210, 210x148||All stocks, side sewn with gutter|
|Landscape||297x210||Lay-flat hinged paper|
|Landscape||210x148||Select stocks, lay-flat section sewn|
|Portrait||297x420, 210x297, 148x210||All stocks, side sewn with gutter|
|Portrait||297x420, 210x297||Lay-flat hinged paper|
|Portrait||210x297, 148x210||Select stocks, lay-flat section sewn|